If you’re planning to switch from Origin to Steam and you’re a big Sims 4 fan, I’ve got a piece of good news for you. You can transfer all of your DLCs to Steam. But there’s a catch.
How to transfer Sims 4 DLCs from Origin to Steam
To transfer your Sims 4 DLCs from Origin to Steam, first you need to buy The Sims 4 base game on Steam. Then, you can access all your game saves, DLC packs, and in-game items on Steam.
Steps to access Origin-based Sims 4 content on Steam
- Buy a copy of The Sims 4 base game on Steam.
- Uninstall the Origin version of the game.
- Install the Steam version of Sims 4.
- Log into your Origin account.
- Link your Steam account to your Origin account.
- Steam will detect the Sims 4 DLCs you own in Origin.
- Steam will then automatically load your DLCs and in-game content when you launch the game.
Keep in mind that Origin will still run in the background when you play The Sims 4 on Steam.
The reason you need to buy the base game on Steam is because you can’t see the codes for your Sims 4 packs in Origin. And even if you could, entering them into Steam wouldn’t do anything.
Before uninstalling your Origin-version of Sims 4, move the Sims 4 folder in Documents/Electronic Arts. Moving the main game folder to your EA folder should prevent the system from deleting it. The Sims 4 folder contains all your saves and user content, so you may want to keep it.
Measure twice and cut once
If you don’t like playing through Steam, you can always go back to Origin. However, switching back to Origin is a complex process that takes quite a bit of time. Ideally, switch from Origin to Steam only if you’re 100 percent sure you don’t want to switch back.