Many New World players complained they can’t interact with the environment when pressing the E key. This is a major issue as it’s preventing you from interacting with NPCs, looting or gathering resources. Let’s see how you can fix this problem.
What to do if you can’t interact with the New World environment
Delete the SaveData folder
According to Amazon Games, if you can’t interact with the New World environment when pressing the E key, you need to delete the SaveData folder to fix the problem.
- Exit New World completely.
- Navigate to %appdata%/AGS/New World/ or C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\AGS\New World.
- Then delete the SaveData folder.
- Log back into the game and play with your default key binding.
- Press the E key and check if you can interact with the environment.
⇒ Quick note: This is a know issues. The QA team from Amazon Games is currently working on fixing this frustrating bug. Until the devs deploy a permanent fix, use the workaround below.
Checking game file integrity
Additionally, make sure to check the integrity of the game files.
- Launch Steam and go to Library.
- Then right-click on New World and select Properties.
- Select the Local Files tab.
- Click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- Wait until Steam finishes verifying the game files.
Restart your computer, launch New World again and check if you can interact with the environment.
⇒ Learn more: Can you tank without sword and shield in New World?
Try changing your key binds and check if you notice any improvements. Additionally, unequip and re-equip your tools. A number of users confirmed these two quick solutions worked for them. Maybe they work for you as well.
Contact Amazon Games Support
If the problem persists, contact Amazon Games Support and report the bug. Wait until the devs roll out a hotfix to patch this specific issue. Then install the latest New World updates as soon as they’re available.
⇒ Learn more: